Patrick represents both publicly traded and privately held clients in a variety of upstream and midstream energy matters. His primary areas of practice include title examination and due diligence analysis for acquisition and divestures of producing and nonproducing assets. He regularly assists clients with drafting, negotiating, and interpreting agreements required for modern oil and gas development, including purchase and sale agreements, joint operating agreements, development agreements, farmout agreements, surface agreements, oil and gas leases, mineral and royalty conveyances, and pooling and unitization agreements. He also advises clients on mineral and leasehold ownership disputes; relinquishment act matters; title curative procedures; pooling; PSA/Allocation Wells; and regulatory issues.
He has drafted and reviewed hundreds of title opinions, including acquisition, drilling, division order, and supplemental title opinions, covering hundreds of thousands of acres on fee, state, and federal lands, and manages a team of attorneys working in conjunction with landmen, division order analysts, and in-house counsel to conduct extensive title examination and transactional due diligence.
Patrick is recognized as a top rated energy and natural resources lawyer in Houston by Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers. In his free time, he enjoys cheering on the Texas Longhorns and is an avid runner.
- Development of Relinquishment Act Lands – AAPL Live Webinar, May 18, 2022
- Relinquishment Act / Mineral Classified Issues in Texas – Corpus Christi Association of Professional Landmen Live Webinar, May 9, 2022
- Current Issues in Louisiana Oil and Gas Law – OG Energy Education Series, January 26, 2022
- Asserting Dominance: Do Renewable Developers Have to Accommodate Oil & Gas Surface Use? – AAPL Field Landman Seminar, Spring, Texas, November 18, 2021
- An Overview of SONRIS and a Guide to Determining Mineral Ownership in Louisiana – Percheron Title Training Webinar, July 29, 2021
- Held By Production/Royalty Issues Seminar – AAPL Field Landman Seminar, San Antonio, Texas, February 8, 2019
- Oil & Gas Title Opinions
- Oil & Gas Contracts
- Oil & Gas Transactions
- Oil & Gas Regulatory Matters
- Business Formation
- Business Disputes
- Contract Review